The Cross reveals who we are

 Because the Cross and the Cross alone reveals who we really are. Everything else – and that truly means everything – even the Sacraments, can be “loved” without true love existing in the heart. So our reaction to crosses tells us who we are with certainty. Jesus said to Luisa: “My daughter, it is really so, the cross alone is that which makes one know whether he really loves the Lord – but a cross carried with patience and resignation, because where there is patience and resignation in crosses, there is divine life. Since nature is so reluctant to suffering, if there is patience, it cannot be something natural, but divine…On the other hand, in the other things, and even the very Sacraments, cannot give the certainty of the cross. “

 He also said: “My daughter, it was not my works, nor my preaching, nor the very power of my miracles that made Me recognized with clarity as the God I am, but when I was put on the Cross and lifted up on It as though on my own throne – then was I recognized as God. So, the Cross alone revealed Me to the world and to the whole of hell for Who I really was. All were shaken and recognized their Creator. Therefore, it is the Cross that reveals God to the soul, and makes known whether the soul is truly of God. It can be said that the Cross uncovers all the intimate parts of the soul and reveals to God and to men who she is.”

 Luisa was even told by a soul in Purgatory how to know how you stand before God, and this soul assured Luisa that “It takes nothing to know whether you are doing well or badly: if you appreciate suffering, you are doing well; if you don’t, you are doing badly.”